18 August 2009

Best Gift

Best Gift
I had a nice talk with one of my daughters this weekend and we discussed the best gift a parent could ever give a child. No, it wasn’t the new wii fit or Nintendo III, it’s actually much cheaper than that, and you know I’m cheep. The best gift you can give is their independence.

The most valuable lesson you can teach your children is how to get along without you. How to think for themselves, rationalize between choices they want to make. Let them make mistake while you are still there to help them get through it. Those are the best lessons.

Teach them to cook and clean up after themselves. Let them do their own shopping for what they want to cook, give them a budget on how much they can spend and how to choose between brands and quantity versus value. Give them the money and let them pay; make them order for the family when you go out to eat. My kids can feed a family of 4 on $10.

I’ve never been one to buy them the latest things but I think I have given them the greatest gift. I can’t wait to see what they are going to do with the gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment